Sunday, June 22, 2008

Strawberry Jam, cherry pickin, and a kitten

Yesterday I made strawberry jam, well attempted. Its more like syrup. I tried the recipe without pectin and Kris kept telling me that I needed the pectin. Guess maybe he was right! I do have enough strawberries for another batch, so back to Walmart I go to get the pectin. I swear I am there on a daily basis. Parker helped me make the jam since he thinks he is the expert jam maker. He made some with his pre-school class for mothers day. He kept telling me what I was doing wrong, I guess I didnt do it just like Mrs. B. Maybe thats why mine is syrup???

Yesterday we also went cherry picking. One of Parkers friends moms was telling me where they go cherry picking, it was right by our house. So for a buck a pound you cant beat that. I forgot to bring my camera though. I so wished I had it. The kids had a blast. It didnt take us long, we ended up with 6lbs, which is plenty. They also gave us a schedule of when their other crops will be ready. We will definently go back for the peaches and nectarines. Hunter loves nectarines and I want to can peaches this year.

Earlier this week we had a little kitten meowing outside our back door. The poor thing was so hungry. All I had was some bread to give it. At first it just stood on the piece of bread until it realized that it was food and she scarfed it down. Hopefully I didnt make her constipated. She ended up hanging around our house all day, so I ran to walmart to get it some kitten food. It played with the kids all night. Parker shouldnt have been touching it since he is highly allergic to cats, but it didnt seem to bother him. He was in love with the cat. He couldnt believe that we were going to leave it outside. He thought the kitten would be scared of the dark. He was willing to give it his "other one" (what he calls his favorite blanket) and he left a stuffed dog outside for it. Parker was just completly heart broken over this cat. He couldnt stand the idea of us leaving it outside. He was crying big alligator tears and everything. This is a side of Parker we had never seen. The kitten wasnt around the next morning so Parker just figured it found its parents up in the mountain. Kris and I were both worried that maybe an animal got it. But its still around. It comes for visits often and I bought more food for it. The poor thing is still starving. Parker is just thrilled when the kitty shows up. We named her Piper, but Parker calls her Viper. We cant keep the cat inside because of Parker but if it sticks around here Im willing to call him ours as an outside cat. She is the most friendly, social, and gentle kitten. She never uses her claws and she is very patient with Parker chasing her everywhere. Its cute.

No comments: